Moving a Tenant Out

Just like the process of moving a tenant in, there is a lot to know when it comes time for your tenant to move out. 

This section guides you through regulations that apply when a tenancy ends whether it is your decision or your renter's. The Economic Displacement Relocation Assistance (EDRA) ordinance effective July 1, 2022 means if your tenant gives notice to move out in response to a housing cost increase of 10% or more within 12 months, you may need to pay relocation assistance.

You must comply with just cause eviction which governs all rental agreements in Seattle and provides the ways a tenancy can be lawfully terminated. 

You'll learn about the eviction process and eviction defenses that renters may rely upon; how to draft compliant termination notices, abandonment of your property, and security deposit refunds. 

Selling your rental property? You may need to issue a Notice of Intent to Sell (NOIS) if your property meets certain criteria. Seattle Office of Housing administers this ordinance and provides detailed information on their site.

Next - EDRA (economic displacement relocation assistance) Does it apply to your renters?

Renting in Seattle

Address: 700 5th Ave, Suite 2000, Seattle, WA, 98124
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA, 98124-4019
Phone: (206) 684-5700
Contact Us

The Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections (SDCI) includes permitting, construction inspections, code compliance and tenant protections, and rental housing registration and inspections.