Economic Displacement Relocation Assistance (EDRA)

Beginning July 1, 2022, when your landlord increases your housing costs by 10% or more within the same12-month period, you may be eligible for Economic Displacement Relocation Assistance - EDRA.   

Tenant households earning 80% or less of the area median income can apply for financial help to move when they vacate or give notice to vacate before a 10% or more housing cost increase takes effect.  The 10% can consist of a single increase or multiple increases when combined,if all the increases take effect within the same 12-month period. 

See EDRA Housing Cost Increases for examples.

EDRA applicants must:

  • Receive a notice of increase on or after July 1, 2022
  • Earn less than 80% of Seattle's area median income (AMI)
  • Receive a 10% or more increase to housing costs within 12 months
  • Move or give notice to move before the increase takes effect.

80% AMI (2024) based on Household Sizes:

  • Household size 1 = $77,700
  • Household size 2 = $88,800
  • Household size 3 = $99,900
  • Household size 4 = $110,950
  • Household size 5 = $119,850
  • Household size 6 = $128,750
  • Household size 7 =  $137,600
  • Household size 8 =  $146,500

Before you make an EDRA application, there are a number of requirements you need to understand. 

What is a household?

To apply for EDRA:

  • You must identify the members of your household
  • Designate a household representative to be responsible for the application
  • Provide proof of all household income

But what exactly makes a household? A household can be made up of one person or several people. It's often considered to be a group of related people such as parents and children but a household can consist of a wide variety. Some examples of households include:

  • Single individuals
  • Married couples or domestic partners
  • Parent(s) with children
  • Extended families that include parents, grandparents, grandchildren, and siblings

Some factors helpful to consider when figuring out your household for an EDRA application include but are not limited to:

  •  Are there shared finances?
  •  Is there a domestic relationship between renters?
  •  Is there an intent to relocate together?

Households and Housing Units

A housing unit can be a house, apartment, individually rented rooms, etc. There may be more than one household living in a housing unit. Some examples of how households may reside in housing units include:

  • A house that has 5 bedrooms, each occupied by unrelated adults (5 households)
  • An apartment where a parent and child live (1 household)
  • A house where a family sublets a room to an unrelated friend (2 households)
  • An apartment where 6 people live, each as part of a couple in a domestic partnership (3 households)
  • A house where grandparents are raising their grandchildren and there is a couple and a single person renting a room each (3 households)

What is considered household income?

When you apply for EDRA you will need to document all sources of household income for the previous calendar year and the current calendar year to date. 

 Examples of income include:

  •  Wages, salaries, tips
  •  Income from self-employment
  •  Social security and retirement payments
  •  Public assistance payments (TANF, GAU, SSI)
  •  Child support 
  •  Unemployment or worker’s compensation
  •  Alimony payments 
  •  Education grants
  •  Investment income (dividends, interest, royalties)
  •  Gain from sale of capital goods or equipment
  •  Rental income 
  •  Income from estates and trusts
  •  Annuities, pensions, retirement, or veteran’s benefits
  •  Old age, survivor, or strike benefits
  •  Retirement income
  •  Money received from family or friends on a consistent basis

Next - What is an EDRA eligible housing cost increase and how do you calculate it?

Updated: 7/1/2022

Renting in Seattle

Address: 700 5th Ave, Suite 2000, Seattle, WA, 98124
Mailing Address: P.O. Box 34019, Seattle, WA, 98124-4019
Phone: (206) 684-5700
Contact Us

The Seattle Department of Construction & Inspections (SDCI) includes permitting, construction inspections, code compliance and tenant protections, and rental housing registration and inspections.